Divider.png

Bedbugs are called “hitchhikers.” You or others bring them into your home or place of business on your person or on your belongings. Now in epidemic proportions, it is just your misfortune if you get an infestation of bed bugs.

Where Do Bed Bugs Come From?

You will have picked bed bugs up somewhere during the course of your day out in the world. Was it from a restaurant, a doctor’s waiting room, the shopping mall, or a library? Who knows? These hitchhiking bed bugs can be picked up from almost anywhere people sit or rest … hotels and motels, public transportation, theatres, and schools. Bedbugs easily travel on children’s backpacks. You may not realize it but bed bugs can even come from new furniture! A delivery truck brings your new furniture and it has previously hauled away bedbug infested items. Travel is one of the more common manners of picking up bedbugs.

About Bed Bugs:

  • Bed bugs infest all sorts of buildings and places as noted above. They will continue to thrive until they are professionally exterminated.

  • Bed bugs can’t fly and they don’t jump; they only walk and can go the length of your hallway in the course of a night.

  • About 75% of bed bugs reside in your mattress, box spring, or frame. The other 25% can spread far and wide in your home, but generally like to stay close to a host.

  • They hide by day in tight places or very small cracks and holes. They often hide behind baseboards, inside walls, and under carpets.

  • Bed bugs feed almost exclusively on the blood of humans. In the wild they feed on bats. Bed bugs do not generally feed on pets and other animals (except bats.)

  • They feed at night, generally between midnight and 4am, and find you by your infra-red heat signature and the carbon monoxide you exhale.

  • Bedbugs can survive for over a year in between meals, so they are very long lasting.

  • Bed bugs are hard to detect; they can breed rapidly; and they are surprisingly resistant to many forms of elimination.

  • The only definitive way to know you have bed bugs is to see a live one.

  • Finding cast off bed bug skeletons, eggs, or blood spots on linens or the furniture is a generally accurate sign of a bed bug infestation, especially if you have some bites on your skin.

  • Another method of determining a bed bug infestation is to have a trained K-9 sniff out your place. The dog will alert if bed bugs or their eggs are detected. A trained K-9’s sense of smell is absolutely fantastic and almost beyond belief.

  • Bed bug eggs and their hatchlings are so small that almost 1000 will fit on a small postage stamp. As hatchlings they will disperse and try to get their first blood meal.

  • The females lay two to three eggs per day and hundreds in a lifetime.

  • Their sticky eggs are only 1mm and new hatchlings are even smaller.

  • The eggs hatch in about 7 – 10 days and immediately look for a meal.

More Facts:

  • The look of the bed bug bite will vary depending on your own body’s particular allergic reaction. The “bites” often itch and scratching them may cause an infection.

  • About 50% of the population will have no reaction whatsoever to a bed bug “bite”. That is why husbands and wives can sometimes say “She gets “bit” but they don’t “bite” me at all.

  • How long is it before you know you have bed bugs? If you are lucky, you find a bed bug the same day as contracting it. But generally it may take from one month to five months after initial contact before you have a sense of what is happening.

  • You probably would not notice if a bedbug or egg got on you.

  • Bedbugs do not have skin; they have a waxy coating over their exoskeleton which is to our advantage.

  • Who’s to blame if you get an infestation? No one. In buildings with common walls, bed bugs can move from one unit to another, being undiscovered for months.

  • Bed bugs have fantastic survival skills; they can last up to a full year between meals; so the logical step in dealing with bed bugs is to call a professional, but not just any professional. Call Bed Bugs all Gone, expert exterminators who have a revolutionary, non-toxic treatment plan that can out-last the bed bugs and kill them as they come out of hiding for well over a year.

  • It’s not a matter of “if you’ll get bedbugs; it’s a matter of when.

Read More on Bed Bug Biology

Serving the San Francisco Bay Area and The Big Valley, call Bed Bugs all Gone at (844)-892-7477